Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ELECTION 2010: Binay drops out of 2010 race, wants to be Erap's vice president

MANILA, Philippines - Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay wants to run for vice president in tandem with former President Joseph Estrada next year.

Speaking at the launching of a book honoring Sen. Benigno Aquino Jr. and former President Corazon Aquino, Binay said he would not run for senator if Estrada does not choose him as running mate.

“President Estrada said he is running for president in 2010,” Binay said. “So I will now only aspire to be his vice president. But if he will not choose me, I will return to private life and I will not run for senator.”

He added: “I am an executioner of policies and I only want a position of an executive. I have nothing to do in Congress.

Binay said he supports Estrada’s effort to unite the opposition and field a single candidate for president in 2010

“To enable us to unify, we must talk,” he said.

“But for me, if I am not chosen as vice president of the opposition, I will no longer run.

“President Estrada is carrying programs of a true opposition. Same as the program of the late former President Cory Aquino.”

Earlier, a source in the opposition said Estrada favored Sen. Francis Escudero as his running mate in 2010 because of his good showing in the surveys.

No comments:

Post a Comment