Saturday, March 23, 2013

Marinduque, Boac Cathedral

Marinduque: Scenic Boac Cathedral

The Belltower
Having spent almost eight hours waiting for a boat ride in Dalahican port, I finally arrived at Boac about a couple of hours after noon. Tired and hungry from sleepless waiting, my next big task is to find an accommodation for the night. Seems an easy task right? Not if you have gone to Marinduque on a Lenten Season because every nook and cranny of every hotel and lodging inns are packed to the rafters. Although I have prepared a list of possible places to stay beforehand, the list is stricken-off one by one as all of them are either occupied or reserved.

The Boac Cathedral
And as I am looking for a place to stay, I passed by Boac Cathedral and the place temporarily gave me a respite from the heat. Although visiting this Church is in my itinerary, I have planned to visit this at early morning because that is the perfect time to have a good shot of the Church's facade under a glistening morning sun light. But then again, afternoon is probably one of the better times to appreciate the interiors of this age-old beauty.
Old Century Bell
From the wooden engraved doors to the neatly designed walls, Boac Cathedral is truly admirable. Although this church have withstood the test of time, preservation seem to be among Marinduque's top priority because this Church is truly and admirably preserved. I have visited several old churches in the country and sometimes, I can't help but feel sad about the conditions of some because while some are left to rot, some are restored wrongly. Boac Cathedral is a great example of how an ancient Church should be preserved.
The Belltower Facade
Call it serendipitous but after spending almost an hour roaming around this Church, I have been offered to stay in a home of two gracious ladies who owns resorts and hotels in Boac. I have inquired for a room in their resort by the sea (which is about fifteen minute tricycle ride from the town proper) but as expected, the resort is full. I don't know if I look desperate or pitiful enough but these kind-hearted ladies offered me a room in their home right at the Boac proper where the Moriones parade will pass. Great!
Guardian Angel at the Gate
Now I have one of the best spots in town because all the activities of the Moriones Festival is just a few minutes walk away and that the Parade will pass by the house where I stay. And more importatntly, the Boac Cathedral is just a stone's throw away so I can visit the place again in the morning. And shoot I did. The exterior shots in this post was taken in the morning while the exterior shots were taken in the afternoon.
Wooden Sculpture at the Church's Door
By the way, the Boac Cathedral is Marinduque's central cathedral. Located in Brgy. Mataas na Bayan, it is a historical church where the Katipunan Flag is said to have been baptized. Our Lady of Immaculate Conception is the patron saint of Boac, while Birhen ng Biglang-Awa is the patron saint of the province.
The Simple and Neat Interior

No comments:

Post a Comment